Sr. Mechanical Designer
MISSISSAUGA, ON , CANADA
Excelitas Technologies is a global technology leader focused on delivering innovative, high-performance, market-driven photonic solutions to meet the illumination, optronics, detection and optical technology needs of global customers. Serving a vast array of applications across biomedical, scientific, safety, security, consumer products, semiconductor, industrial manufacturing, defense and aerospace sectors, we stand committed to enabling our customers' success in their end-markets. Globally we employ over 6,700 people across sites in North America, Asia and Europe.
As manufacturers of the future, we push the limits of what is technologically possible, through international collaboration, trusted experience and a sense of purpose. At Excelitas Technologies YOU are how we Excel.
We are presently seeking a Senior Mechanical Designer who will be responsible for opto-mechanical system design of advanced light delivery systems for biomedical and industrial illumination applications. The individual in this role will work in a cross functional product development team to design and prototype mechanical systems as well as analyze and test designs, maturing them from concept to launch. The role requires an understanding of user needs and requirements, the ability to balance and integrate individual product-level requirements with system-level requirements, and the application of theoretical and practical knowledge to resolve complex mechanical design issues. The Sr. Mechanical Designer has a passion for solving tough technical problems and creating elegant and reliable products.
- Design mechanical systems using CAD tools for all new product development and sustaining engineering initiatives including opto-mechanical components, electrical enclosures, thermal management systems and Injection molded parts.
- Design and optimize advanced prototypes consisting of optical components, LEDs, machined parts, injection molded plastics, sheet metal enclosures and thermal management components such as heat sinks, fans, heat pipes, thermoelectric devices and liquid cooling systems. Prototype design may also include commercial considerations related to functionality, regulatory affairs and cost.
- Plan and execute experiments to test and validate opto-mechanical systems and thermal concepts and prepare technical reports to summarize.
- Perform risk analyses and lead DFMEA activities. Support the quality and regulatory processes as required.
- Lead feasibility study projects using problem solving, risk analysis and project management techniques. Prepare project schedules and ensure projects are executed in a timely manner using rapid prototyping techniques.
- Use CAD tools to generate solid models and drawings using industry standards for material selection and GD&T.
- Provide technical support to project teams, Mechanical Group Leader and VP of Research and Development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 7+ years’ industrial experience in product development and opto-mechanical design.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent from a recognized educational institution (MS preferred).
- Familiar with standard mechanical practices and software including GD&T CAD, FEA & CFD analysis (SolidEdge, SolidWorks and ANSYS preferred).
- Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing processes, including injection molding, machining, MIM, plating, pad printing, die casting.
- Experience developing medical products to meet UL, CE, and/or FDA requirements preferred.
- Team player with the ability to work in a faced-paced multi-disciplinary product development environment.
- Proven track record as an innovative and resourceful problem solver.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.