MISSISSAUGA, ON , CANADA
Excelitas Technologies is a global technology leader focused on delivering innovative, high-performance, market-driven photonic solutions to meet the illumination, optronics, detection and optical technology needs of global customers. Serving a vast array of applications across biomedical, scientific, safety, security, consumer products, semiconductor, industrial manufacturing, defense and aerospace sectors, we stand committed to enabling our customers' success in their end-markets. Globally we employ over 6,700 people across sites in North America, Asia and Europe.
As manufacturers of the future, we push the limits of what is technologically possible, through international collaboration, trusted experience and a sense of purpose. At Excelitas Technologies YOU are how we Excel.
We are seeking for a Mechanical Designer who will be responsible for mechanical system design and thermal management of advanced light delivery systems for high power illumination applications. The individual in this role will work in a multidisciplinary product development team to design, model and test mechanical systems including enclosures, motor systems, opto-mechanical assemblies and thermal systems. Furthermore, the designer is responsible for applying theoretical and practical knowledge of mechanical and thermal design principles to ensure quality and reliability of the product through the entire life cycle. The Mechanical designer is proficient in mechanical 3D modeling tools, mechanical drawing best practices, rapid prototyping, heat transfer and thermal management.
- Develop high performing and cost effective mechanical solutions that meet our commercial needs.
- Create 3D models and 2D drawings for all mechanical components required for new products. These include sheet metal, machined parts, molded plastics, fans, motors, and heat transfer materials.
- Design and analyze thermal systems using heat transfer concepts and FEA tools and experimental results.
- Verify design concepts through qualification of new parts, prototype development, and testing.
- Update and modify existing product and documentation (drawings, bills of materials, etc.).
- Perform engineering analysis of new designs where required such as GD&T (geometric dimensioning and tolerancing) and FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis)
- Produce reports to communicate design goals, achievements, or significant results to external and internal stakeholders such as the project team, management and customers.
- Maintain mechanical design standards and procedures in accordance with company protocols and quality standards.
- Sourcing of vendors for new part designs and new processes. Act as technical liaison between purchasing and suppliers on all matters related to mechanical disciplines, as they relate to the design and development process.
- Lead the transfer of new product designs to production, assisting in the design of fixtures/jigs for assembly as well as providing guidance on the manufacturing process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years’ industrial experience in product development, specifically opto-mechanical design, prototyping and test.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent from a recognized educational institution.
- Familiar with opto-mechanical design or thermal management at the component or system level. Hands on experience. assembling prototypes, incoming inspection & testing new concepts.
- Must have mechanical aptitude and be comfortable with hands on assembly.
- Skilled in the use of 3D CAD modeling and drafting software (SolidWorks preferred) as well as GD&T concepts.
- Team player with the ability to work in a faced-paced multi-disciplinary product development environment.
- Proven track record as an innovative and resourceful problem solver.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.