Senior Optical Systems Engineer
SALEM, MA , UNITED STATES
ENABLE your future through light.
Excelitas is a global technology leader with more than 7,500 employees, focused on delivering market-driven solutions to fulfill the illumination, optical, detection and imaging needs of OEMs and end-users across the biomedical, semiconductor, industrial, consumer products, scientific, security, defense and aerospace sectors.
ENGAGE with us today and make your contribution to the future! Join the team that leading technology companies turn to for cutting-edge photonic innovation. At Excelitas Technologies you are how we EXCEL.
Our facility in Salem, Massachusetts has key positions in Sales, Product Development, Engineering, Manufacturing, and other disciplines. The Salem site has 12 distinct product lines serving some of the world’s most recognizable brands in both the commercial and defense markets. Our product portfolio includes Xenon flashlamps, Xenon flashlamp systems, high-energy switching devices, high-voltage power supplies and rubidium atomic frequency standards.
We are presently seeking a Senior Optical Systems Engineer that will be responsible for the HIDL Systems division designs and builds power conversion products and flash lighting products for custom requirements in the medical, semiconductor, industrial, security inspection and research equipment markets. Our engineering projects range in scope from concept-through-production of new systems to minor modifications of existing products.
- Collaborate with Electrical and Mechanical Engineering team members to design guided arc flash lamps and support electronics;
- Provide optical test results to verify designs meet or exceed established requirements;
- Work with the business front end to establish product requirements and support customer inquiries;
- Generate formal documentation necessary to capture optical design elements;
- Develop assembly diagrams or work instructions as needed to support prototyping efforts that may also form the foundation for production documentation;
- Manage laboratory equipment necessary to support Optical Engineering efforts;
- Creatively solve problems with new product designs to improve manufacturability, reliability, or achieve specification compliance;
- Lead formal design reviews regarding new and proposed lamp and systems designs;
- Assist in prototyping efforts for new product designs;
- Write Engineering Change Orders, Field Repair Bulletins and Temporary Deviation Authorizations as required in support of development programs.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in systems level optical design and development;
- Experience using Zemax or other comparable optical design software;
- Capable of designing optical systems using mirrors, lenses, filters, reflectors and other optical elements to direct and use light emitted from point sources;
- Experience in illumination sources and spectroscopy applications;
- Proficient in light source measurement and characterization;
- Ability to work in a lab environment with hands on testing of prototypes and assessing field returns;
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel and Power Point for use in documentation generation and summary presentations.
Effective January 4th, 2022, it will be mandatory for every Excelitas employee to be adequately vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemption requests from this vaccination requirement will be considered to accommodate medical conditions and sincerely held religious beliefs.
This position requires the use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
Visa sponsorship is not available for any position at Excelitas
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minorities/Females/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Excelitas is seeking leaders and innovators to join our global team! Visit: www.excelitas.com/join-our-team