Sr Hardware Engineer
MISSISSAUGA, ON, CANADA
ENABLE your future through light.
Excelitas is a global technology leader with more than 7,500 employees, focused on delivering market-driven solutions to fulfill the illumination, optical, detection and imaging needs of OEMs and end-users across the biomedical, semiconductor, industrial, consumer products, scientific, security, defense and aerospace sectors.
ENGAGE with us today and make your contribution to the future! Join the team that leading technology companies turn to for cutting-edge photonic innovation. At Excelitas Technologies you are how we EXCEL.
Our facility in Mississauga, Ontario has key positions in Sales, Marketing, Research & Development, Engineering, Manufacturing, Customer Support and other disciplines. Operating since 1984, this site specializes in the design, development, manufacturing and marketing of a broad portfolio of innovative LED and Lamp technology. The Toronto facility serves a variety of markets such as electronics, optoelectronics, digital printing, general assembly, coatings, and medical device manufacturing, as well as endoscopy, bioscience research, microscopy and instrumentation.
We are presently seeking a Senior Electronics Designer who will be responsible for system and board level design for advanced light delivery systems used in high power illumination applications. The individual in this role will work in a cross functional product development team to design and prototype electrical systems as well as analyze and test design concepts using simulation and electrical measurement tools. The scope of daily responsibilities covers the full product development life cycle, including feasibility study, prototype, design, development, system integration, certification testing, production release, and manufacturing support. The Senior Electronics Designer is responsible for ensuring that the electrical design meets industry standards and customer expectations for reliability and performance.
- Accountable for completion of product development activities to meet design, budget and schedule requirements. The final product needs to be cost effective to manufacture and compliant to industry standards.
- Responsible for detailed hardware design, testing, verification and cost estimation. Work in close collaboration with the software development team to ensure smooth integration of hardware and software functionality.
- Develop schematics and PCB layouts with Altium Designer EDA tool for automatic control, digital/analog mixed-signal, sensor circuit and high current power supply,
- Perform circuit simulations with EDA tools to represent real product as close as possible for modular creation, signal condition setup, hardware platform customization, performance improvement and uncover design errors.
- Execute testing and troubleshooting procedures for prototype units to provide effective solution to improvement system performance to the final product.
- Develop necessary test equipment to test engineering designs system with consideration of potential evolving into manufacturing test platform.
- Ensure product designs meet industrial and laboratory ESD, EMC, CE, UL and low voltage/safety compliance regulations.
- Keep updated with the latest information in the field of new device components, improved techniques, technology developments and theory researches, which may be applicable to next generation product design.
- Prepare documentation for functional specifications, operational procedures, design details, test plans, verification reports, manufacture releasing and bill of materials.
- Involve in new technology research activities for feasibility studies in order to provide proposal to create new product specifications and system requirements.
- Provide technical support to other development teams, manufacturing and customer service in a timely fashion.
- Guide junior/intermediate designer or technician technically in daily product development activities.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with internal team members as well as external vendors and contractors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 7+ years of experience in electronic design and development role, with special expertise in microcontroller systems, high speed/high power switching analog circuits as well as PLC machine control.
- Post-secondary education from recognized University with major in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Proven track record of success in working on of Microchip, Motorola, Zilog, Intel, interface sensor, I/O circuit and standard communication protocols.
- Experienced in electronic system and subsystem design and test, systems analysis, software-driven operations and test schemes.
- Thorough understanding of the circuit board layout with regards to mixed signal and high power signal integrity, noise and emissions reduction.
- Deep knowledge of PCB DFM, DFT rules and IPC specifications
- Hands on experiences of EMC/EMI and safety design problems and solutions, as well as product approval procedures and requirements.
- Practical skills of schematic capture and PCB layout using Altium/CadStar or other similar EDA tools.
- Familiar with analysis languages of MATLAB/SPICE and programming languages of Assembly/C/C++.
- Team player with the ability to work in a faced-paced multi-disciplined product development environment.
- Details focused with excellent problem solving skills in order to resolve complex technical issues and ability to design for reliability.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Willing to accept a wide variety of work assignments supporting end-to end process of capturing, designing, developing, testing, manufacturing, and life-cycle support of products.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and activities.
- Experience working in an ISO9001, 14001, 13485 certified, and/or FDA QSR compliant environment is an asset.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minorities/Females/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Excelitas is seeking leaders and innovators to join our global team! Visit: www.excelitas.com/join-our-team